Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe for Valentine's Day
This incredibly easy to make Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe is to die for! A couple of the lovely ladies in our office have a gluten allergy or sensitivity and anytime I bake they have to miss out. So when this recipe crossed our path, I knew we had to give it a try. And with Valentine's Day right around the corner, it's something all of you can make and enjoy with your loved ones. Not only is is legitimately easy to make, it only takes a total of 35 minutes including bake time, and is incredible moist and delicious!
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe:
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (I used semi sweet)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and butter or spray an 8-inch round baking pan (for traditional cake) or an 8 x 12-inch (if you're planning to cut out heart shapes like we did). Line bottom with wax paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces. Combine the chopped chocolate and chocolate chips in a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- Melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth.
- At the same time as you are melting chocolate whisk your egg whites until they form small peaks.
- Once chocolate is melted remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add egg yolks and whisk well.
- Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in egg white mixture until just mixed.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 20 minutes, the top should form a thin crust.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
- Take Heart shaped cutter and press into cake, the cake should easily lift out as you remove it
- Decorate. Eat. Enjoy!
Here are some ways you can decorate your heart cakes for Valentine's Day:
Make a sandwich, you can slice the cake through the middle and put whipped cream and strawberries in the middle to make this little delight.
This one, we used the heart shape cutter and filled it with whipped cream to form the shape of a heart and them placed the cake on top.
Same idea for this one, but use two sizes of the heart cutter and then sprinkle them with cocoa powder and strawberries cut into hearts.
These heart cakes were a huge hit this morning, the girls couldn't get over how moist and rich they were. You and the lucky friends and family that you make these for are no doubt going to LOVE them. Hope you enjoy!
Looking for other great Valentine's Day ideas? You've come to the right place, we've got a ton of Valentine's Day resources to help you out. Check out:
Comments are now closed