If you or someone you know is planning a wedding, the list of things to do before the big day may seem impossible to manage. With caterers to book, rings to buy, stationery to order and so much more, you must plan ahead in order to avoid unnecessary stress that can be harmful to your health and your relationship.
So take control, get organized and use this timeline to guide you through what should be a fun experience, not a stressful one. Listed below is a Wedding Planning Timeline that shows the most important and basic things to do broken down by when you should do them. You can review them here and also print the FREE checklist that has room for you to add your own items to the list that you can keep in your wedding planning binder.
Here you go - Ready. Set. Plan!
- Set the date
- Start a wedding planning binder and start keeping track your payments, deposits, phone numbers, deadlines, etc.
- Settle on a theme/style and colour scheme
- Set your budget.
(This Wedding Budget Planner can help)
- Put together a guest list
- Book venues and caterers
- Find a photographer/videographer
- Book your officiant
- Book a band or DJ
- Choose your wedding stationery and decide on which pieces you'll be needing.
(This Wedding Invitation Etiquette Guide can help)
- Order your save the dates
- Order your wedding dress
- Invite your friends and family to join your wedding party
- Block hotel rooms for out of town guests
- Send out save the date cards
- Plan a honeymoon
- Order bridesmaid dresses
- Meet with a florist to plan bouquets, centrepieces, etc
- Order your wedding invitations and reply cards
- Order the cake
- Order the groom’s attire
- Plan a rehearsal dinner
- Make necessary hair and make up appointments
- Ask your MC and those giving speeches
(Here are some Wedding Toast Do's and Don'ts to share with them to avoid disasters)
- Send out wedding invitations – make a system for recording reply cards
- Begin dress fittings
- Arrange necessary transportation
- Purchase rings
- Get your marriage license
- Meet with the photographer/videographer
- Make your seating plan and decide how you will display it
- Purchase gifts for the wedding party
- Order your day of wedding stationery (menus, programs, favor tags, table numbers, etc)
- Decide on and order wedding favors
- Give a shot list to the photographer
- Final fittings
- Finalize wedding vows and readings with your officiant
- Assemble wedding favors
- Send schedules to your wedding party
- Send out final payments
- Confirm times/final guest count with caterers
- Make a back up plan with the venue in case weather is an issue
- Pick up wedding dress and tuxedo
- Manicure and/or pedicure
- Attend the rehearsal dinner
- Give gifts to the wedding party
- Get a good nights sleep
- Hair and makeup
- Dress to impress
- Get hitched!
- Make your rounds-greet everyone