From boycotting the use of plastic straws to composting, there are tons of easy things that you can turn into habits as part of everyday green living. To celebrate Earth Day this weekend, we wanted to share an inside look at how some people are making a difference with small changes and building new habits. This list of 20 Little Things is from Ferne Kotlyar, an ambassador for green living that has some great ideas that are easy to incorporate on a daily basis.
A bit about Ferne Kotylar
"Ever since I can remember, I have loved the outdoors. It didn't matter how impossibly cold or how dreadfully hot it was, I wanted to be outside. In fact, I loved the outdoors so much that I spent the past two summers bringing young teens camping and spending all of my time in the middle of a forest. Nature for me is my sanctuary - it is where I go to let go. When I am surrounded by the world's natural beauty, it is as though nothing else matters and my worries creep away. Although unfortunately, during the school year, I can't be out camping, every morning when I open my curtains and see my plants growing, it brings me that little bit of joy to jumpstart my day."
Here's Ferne's list of 20 Little Things:
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room
- Shut the tap when you are brushing your teeth
- Use a reusable water bottle and re-useable containers
- Unplug electronic cords when not in use
- Use a lunch box (instead of a plastic bag)
- Hang your clothes to dry
- Learn how to compost
- Buy food in bulk
- Bring your reusable bags to the grocery store
- Use GOOS (Good On One Side) Paper
or Plantable Seed Paper (This was our addition to Ferne's list but we thought it fit in perfectly!)
- Forgo the plastic cutlery
- Set your washing machine to use cold water
- Use a travel coffee mug
- Drink loose leaf tea
- Skip the straws
- Pay your bills online and use e-Tickets
- Change your lights to use CFL bulbs
- Turn your computer off overnight
- Instead of a newspaper, keep up to date with online news
Do you have green ideas to share?
Add your own tips and tricks to the comments so we can grow this list of everyday eco-tips and habits! You can also share our handy infographic with friends and family that features 20 House Rules For Green Living.
BIG THANK YOU to Ferne for doing her part and sharing her ideas with us. Every little bit counts and together we can make a huge difference for the future of our beautiful planet.